An injunction has been secured to stop unauthorised development and occupation of land in Syston.
Charnwood Borough Council took action after unauthorised engineering works were carried out and a caravan was placed on the land off the Fosse Way.
The Council secured the injunction at Leicester County Court on Friday 27th April against Luke Green, of Barry Road, Netherhall, Leicester.
The injunction means that Mr Green, or any persons unknown, are forbidden to use the land to site any more caravans /mobile homes which includes occupying the caravans for residential purposes, temporary or otherwise. He is also forbidden to carry out any more work, otherwise he will be in breach of the injunction and could face a criminal charge with the possibility of being fined or imprisoned.
A Charnwood Borough Council spokesperson said: “We became aware that the land was being cleared last June and served a temporary stop notice requiring all work to cease as it did not have planning permission. Nothing further happened until February this year when we became aware a fence had been put up and a caravan was on site. As more work had taken place recently we sought an injunction to stop any further work taking place and to prevent anyone occupying the caravan or any further occupation of the site. Our concerns were that no planning permission had been given, the land had not been identified for any kind of residential development in the Council’s local plan and it is also in a flood zone.”
In March this year two planning applications were submitted for the site, one for 11 transit pitches for traveller/gypsy families and another for three family plots for a gypsy/traveller site. Both were withdrawn in April.
Cllr Eric Vardy, lead member for planning at the borough council, said: “The planning system is in place to protect our natural and built environment from unauthorised development and we will not hesitate to use all the powers at our disposal to enforce that protection.”